Thursday 30 January 2014

Tokyo Bandwagon

Raced through 8 consecutive episodes of the Japanese drama, Tokyo Bandwagon. Didn't expect myself to be enjoying the drama as much as I have! Gotta qualify the reasons for my initial skeptical attitude about the show:

  1. Just finished the massively popular and entertaining drama of the Japan world - Hanzawa Naoki. Any dramas watched thereafter pales in comparison, naturally. 
  2. Ratings in Japan weren't that sparkling. Somehow, ratings represent how good or bad a drama is. See Hanzawa's skyrocketing ratings. At times low ratings can be attributed to the drama's time slot. Tokyo Bandwagon's broadcast timing in Japan was actually promising - Saturdays 9pm. Oh but we're now in the internet age, so I guess tv ratings are no longer a fair and accurate representation of dramas.
  3. Tokyo Bandwagon is a family-based drama. Perhaps I've been away from Japanese dramas for too long and wasn't confident of Japan's ability to carry through this genre. However, I eventually remembered shows like Ninomiya Kazunari's Freeter and Yasashii Jikan, and 1990s' hit - Under One Roof, and how I should slap myself for doubting the ability of Japanese TV! How dare me!

Sure there is my favourite Kamenashi Kazuya (since his role in Nobuta Wo Produce) and I will show my support when I have the time and energy by watching the dramas he's in. On a side note, I deliberately avoided some of his dramas as I thought those would make my liking for him turn to dislike. Or maybe, the storyline just didn't appeal. Maybe it's the soft spot I have for Kame, maybe it's my general preference for family dramas, or maybe, it's really not such a bad show despite the ratings. Having said that, I thought the first two episodes were not so great, and I would have stopped watching if not for Kame and his likeable character in the show. However, if you give the drama a chance and go into the 3rd, 4th episode etc, you would realise that the ratings didn't do justice to the show.


Tokyo Bandwagon is a typical Japanese drama in that at the end of every episode, there's some resolution to the problems and issues surfaced at the start of each episode. There's that feel-good, inspiring factor which I've found in almost all the Japanese dramas.

Despite the father's rocker-dude attitude and non-typical dressing for a man his age, he conveys the most basic yet easily forgotten wisdom of how love covers a multitude of sins. The stories in the drama bring out the essence of that. It takes so much courage to forgive a father who abandoned the family years ago and now wants to reunite - love gives the strength to forgive and accept your father again. It takes the help of people who love and care enough for you to stop you from committing the biggest mistake of your life - like killing the murderer of your beloved sister. It is love for your family that allows you to lay aside your pride and set things right - seeking forgiveness for past wrongs.

Kudos to the actors who make up the Hotta family (protagonist family) and their friends, neighbours, and acquaintances. The latter's presence served to emphasis what a good and kind-hearted family the Hotta family is. All characters had a part in keeping the drama going and entertaining.


Another highlight for me was the subtle love story between Kame's Hotta Ao and Tabe Mikako's character, Suzumi. I liked how the writers kept their love story tightly intertwined with the on goings of the main family. Afterall, this isn't a love story. The love development is a tad too fast to be realistic but oh well, it's a 10 episode drama so I guess the writers had no choice but to speed things up. I didn't have high hopes for the chemistry between the two actors and I still do not think they have the best chemistry. Tabe was great with Miura Haruma in the movie, Kimi ni todoke; while Kame had better chemistry with Ayase Haruka and Horikita Maki. Tabe, the actress, has too much of a good girl vibe to seem believable for Kame, the idol actor, to fall in love with. However, I can understand why they casted Tabe as she is a good fit for the Suzumi character who isn't the frivolous and air-headed type of girl. Tabe looks like she has a good head on her shoulders and it would be a little hard to swallow if she played a loud, delinquent kinda character. Oh but boy does Suzumi have that sassy side as you would see across the episodes, and especially in the episode where she lambasted a group of antique bookseller seniors, for ... I forgot the exact reason, but it was a well-substantiated argument she put forward. Quite unexpected of a young girl, what more, a young Japanese girl. Girl Power!

Lastly, I really like the songs by Kame's father in the show played by rock singer, Tamaki Koji. He sings the ending song titled, Search Light. Beautiful, emotionally-provoking voice. One of the best voices I've heard from a Japanese singer. I first came to know who Tamaki san is when he guested on Arashi ni Shiyagare (a variety show) I chanced upon when holidaying in Kyoto, and found that he is the composer of the awesome 1990s' pop song - Ai nanda. The writers and director of the show lost no chances in showcasing Tamaki san's musicality by having the character sing with his guitar in several episodes.


To end it of, pictures of the beautiful-faced Kamenashi Kazuya as the show acknowledged by giving him a "heisei playboy" image. Looking forward to watch the remaining few episodes by this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment